Monday, January 05, 2009

National Bankruptcy Day!

Photobucket I'm quoting my dear friend Melissa because she couldn't have said it any better. This Act will put my business out of business. It's really sad that it was even allowed to pass

Soon, a United States law will go into affect that will have a profound impact on small business, including many of my friends and loved ones. It is called the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act. It is a law that in essence, prohibits anyone from selling products to children under twelve without rigorous lead testing. This includes ANY products intended for use by a child. Small businesses, Etsy, E-bay, Craigslist, Freecycle, thrift stores, garage sales, even hand-me-downs are included in this measure.

I am disgusted. PLEASE write to your congressmen!

All items that haven't been tested for lead by February 10th will be required to be thrown into a landfill. I am disgusted that the country I live in, who boasts of its many freedoms, would do something as heinous as this.

What makes me even sicker is that OUR house passed it with no nays and only a few in the Senate. I have a pit in my stomach. I can only imagine who is in the back pockets of these lawmakers.

For living in a country that boasts being a democracy, it sure feels a lot like communism.


To see more about National Bankruptcy Day SEE HERE

An article to see how this will effect thrift stores SEE HERE

How it will effect small business like Etsy SEE HERE

For a Facebook group that helps you to see how you may be able to change the law SEE HERE

In addition you can also vote against it here: http://www.change.org/ideas/view/save_handmade_toys_from_the_cpsia

No comments: